Governments will often try to disguise the true rate of inflation through a variety of techniques. These can include the following:
* Outright lying as to official statistics such as money supply, inflation or reserves.
* Suppression of publication of money supply statistics, or inflation indices.
* Price and wage controls.
* Forced savings schemes, designed to suck up excess liquidity. These savings schemes may be described as pensions schemes, emergency funds, war funds, or similar.
* Adjusting the components of the Consumer Price Index, to remove those items whose prices are rising the fastest.
Let's look at this:
1. Outright lying as to official statistics: Our government is blatantly obfuscating the CPI.
2. Suppression of publication of money supply statistics: M3 is no longer published.
3. Price and wage controls: Help me out here, I'm sure I'm missing a number of possibilities. Would the minimum wage count? What else?
4. Forced savings schemes, designed to suck up excess liquidity: Again, I don't know. How about Social Security? What do you think?
5. Adjusting the components of the Consumer Price Index: Clearly being done right now.
This is The Big Lie. Our own government, elected by us, is blatantly, brazenly, lying right to our faces. It is withholding basic, simple data. They don't want us to know what's really going on.
Now, I am definitely not a conspiracy theorist. I don't think any group, much less the government, is capable of successfully pulling off a secret plan more complex than digging a small hole in the ground. But there is no secret here. This is a conspiracy being done right out in the open, for all to see, and nobody's raising the BS flag.
I'm raising the BS flag.